tracking down obscure dbcontrol log file

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:00:26 -0700

Platform: Oracle EE 10.2.0.2.0 on HP-UX 11.23

Using OEM dbcontrol, not Grid Control

I have been reviewing one of our 'housekeeping' jobs that keeps a bunch of obscure log files under control and have some questions about some of these files, located in

      $ORACLE_HOME/<server>_<db>/sysman/log and $ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/j2ee/isqplus/application-deployments/isqlplus and $ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/j2ee/isqplus/application-deployments/ isqlplushelp
and $ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/j2ee/isqplus/log

Some of the files in the directory have documented means for controlling their size, detailed in Enterprise Manager Advanced Configuration (ch. 8). There are also some log and trace files in this directory for which I can find no reference documentation -- that is, they don't turn up in a search of the doc set. Search of MetaLink gets a few hits each, but those are all in notes where the given log/ trace file is used to diagnose a specific problem.

Specifically, the files I am interested in are:

emagent.nohup
emagent.nohup.lr
emagent_perl.trc
emdb.nohup
emdb.nohup.lr
emdctl.log
emdctl.trc

emoms.log
emoms.trc
emoms.trc.l

and a directory named 'nmcTN1521'. There are no files in this directory, but I find it curious that the 'TN' is the name of our db and the 1521 happens to be the default listener port.

Can anyone shed light on these files, especially any built-in means to control their size/growth, such as exists for emagent.log and emagent.trc? Received on Thu Oct 25 2007 - 10:00:26 CDT