Re: Database Performance Problem between 3:00PM and 4:00PM

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:25:08 +0200

On 23.10.2007 12:18, zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2:11 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:

>>> FRom the beginning we suspected Network to be an issue, We contacted
>>> our Networking departament, They monitored Network, could not find any
>>> thing. I have run perfstat, I have run Window's perfmon (for
>>> monitoring cpu, disk, memory usage..), do n''t see anything different
>>> between before 3:00PM and after 3:00PM/ It really baffels me that for
>>> weeks no one has clue on cause of the problem which happens
>>> consistenetly.- Hide quoted text -
>> I suggest again that you run Statspack at 30 minute intervals between
>> 1 PM and 5PM and examine the reports generated. They may not tell you
>> everything, but they might tell you something which would provide a
>> proper direction for further investigation.
>>
>> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks. I forgot to mention I have alreday done that, startspack do
> not show naything differemt. Same is true of Windows's permfon,

Did you compare execution plans from inside and outside the "bad" period?

Maybe you fill up your database with a regular stream of data and at around 3pm statistics are so much outdated that the old plan is inefficient.

Another idea: what hardware do you use for storage? There are network attached storages around that can do backups on their own (NetApp filer can do snapshots). Maybe something is going on in the storage increasing response times.

The other idea I had was that something uses the network segment for large data transfers during that period but you said you ruled that out already...

Just my 0.02EUR...

Kind regards

        robert Received on Tue Oct 23 2007 - 11:25:08 CDT