Re: delete database file on server -> sharing violation

From: Erland Sommarskog <esquel_at_sommarskog.se>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC)

Greg D. Moore (Strider) (mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com) writes:
> However, I would suspect simply deleting the files would cause error
> messages to show up when Oracle was restarted or the system was restarted?
> Most likely this would be non-fatal but as I prefer to run w/o errors, I'm
> curious as to the "correct" way to remove a database on a Unix system.

You probably don't do that by deleting files. It was very long ago since I had reason to work with a database on Unix, but when I worked with Sybase in the first half of the nineties the strong recommendation was to put production databases on raw partitions. This may very well have changed since then, and it could be different for Oracle. The problem with database files in the file system was that the DB engine had to use synchronous operations to be sure that data was down on disk, and not buffered in the file system. Or something like that. It was a very long time ago.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel_at_sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at