Re: Newbie question about versions?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:42:08 -0700

On Oct 19, 12:14 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Bob Jones wrote:
> > "Mladen Gogala" <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> You have easy access to, in my opinion, the second best Oracle expert
> >> in the whole world - Jonathan Lewis. His website is:
> >>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> >> I do consider Mr. Tom Kyte to be the world's foremost expert on
> >> Oracle RDBMS. Tom Kyte joined Microsoft Corp. on 04/01/2006,
> >> as visible onhttp://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html
> >> and is one of the people who deserve the most of credit for the
> >> success that is Windows Vista.
>
> > Many consider Britney Spears the world's foremost singer. Anybody care?
>
> No. But in July of 2008 Jonathan Lewis and Tom Kyte will both be at
> OracleDays (www.oracledays.com) in Seattle Washington and I can
> guarantee you with absolute certainty Ms. Spears will not be invited.
>
> I too concur with Mladen. In our industry there are people who have
> earned our respect. And not by going in and out of rehab or hiring
> public relations drones.

I share the general opinion of these guys. But the OP kind of sounds like (s)he's not even to the point of being able to appreciate them.

To the OP: Courses are good, but they are even better if you get a running start with a lot of the information available, especially the concepts manual, free online courses like 2day dba, etc., with details depending on where you are coming from and how you learn best. For example, if you are experienced with another db, start with one of Tom Kyte's books. If you have never taken a relational theory class, that might be worthwhile too.

Also note you can freely download Oracle to play with, and there is even a free version with some limitations for production. See http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm for some other getting started clues, including some faq's and sites. The best way to learn is to do!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I've had all of the fun I can stand in investment banking at the