Re: Using EM 10gR2 to Create Standby Database

From: joel garry <>
Date: 18 Oct 2007 19:17:26 -0700

On Oct 18, 9:11 am, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> wrote:
> >> Never tried what you are doing because I can't think of why anyone
> >> would want a standby on the same server as the primary. What is the
> >> logic?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users
> > Daniel,
> > I am creating the physical standby on the same server for practice.
> > That server holds only test versions of production databases. In this
> > environment I can safely work without fear of damaging a production
> > database. I created a flash recovery area and put the database in
> > flashback database mode. The third step is the creation of the
> > standby. Once I am sure of these steps I will repeat them on
> > production databases. For production databases the standby will be on
> > a different server than the primary.
> > Our Oracle databases do not reside in /u01 but in user defined file
> > systems on a separate UNIX volume group.
> > So back to my original question, does anyone know how to use EM Grid
> > Control to create a standby database in a location other than /u01?
> > Thank you,
> > Bill
> If you are just creating a standby then you can just use:
> RMAN> duplicate target database for standby nofilenamecheck;
> If you are building Data Guard it is a bit more complex.
> Keep in mind a Standby Database is not Data Guard.

The docs do say you can use EM to create a local standby:

I would guess the secret would be those property page thingies, whatever they may be, to do the equivalent of setting db_file_name_convert

"See Oracle Data Guard Broker and the Oracle Enterprise Manager online help system." - some real useful doco, there.

-- is bogus.
Are you so boring people use you for a coaster?  MI6 may spam your