Re: delete database file on server -> sharing violation

From: Erland Sommarskog <esquel_at_sommarskog.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:15:21 +0000 (UTC)

DA Morgan (damorgan_at_psoug.org) writes:
> Fix the problem. Half the time, with Windows, the correct solution to a
> problem is a reboot. This is one of those times.

Maybe. If SQL Server is not set to auto-start it will work, in so far that you will get rid of the files. But since the databases will still be in master.sys.databases, it's not a very pretty solution. And in most cases, SQL Server is set to auto-start, in which case rebooting the box is not going to help at all.

But your answer is interesting. I take it that to get rid of database files with Oracle, DROP DATABASE is not the way to go, or at least it is not sufficient. But do you really have to reboot to get Oracle to let go of the files?

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel_at_sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at