Parent-Child query technique?

From: SpaceMarine <spacemarine_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:24:19 -0700

hello,

i am interested in building a query on oracle 9.2 (i think). i guess youd call it a "parent-child" report query... i have a view that lists a bunch of parts, and each of these parts can be either a parent or child to another part in the same view. each part/row has columns for PartID, Name, ParentID.

i would like to present one result that lists all of the parts, but groups each part's child parts under it before moving to the next part. this children-list grouping should nest indefinitely for the children's children, etc, until the end-of-the-line is met for one ancestry. then the next brand new entity is listed. like so:

Part_1

	Child_1
		Grandchild_1
		Grandchild_2
			GreatGrandchild_1
	Child_2
	Child_3

Part_2

im afraid this is a bit outside of my normal CRUD experience. can anyone offer me suggestion or syntax on how such a report is written? (im sure im not the first joe who needs a report like this). much good fortunte & luck will be bestowed upon you....

thanks!
sm Received on Thu Oct 18 2007 - 13:24:19 CDT