Re: Using EM 10gR2 to Create Standby Database

From: <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:07:41 -0700

On Oct 17, 5:55 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> bfoga..._at_gaports.com wrote:
> > In EM 10gR2 Grid Control I am trying to create a physical standby
> > database on the same server as the primary database. On step 3 of 6 I
> > am to specify the "Standby Database Location". The only choices shown
> > are /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0 of the primary host and the same
> > location on a second host.
>
> > I want the standby created in /t15, not in /u01, but I have not found
> > a way to enter that location. Has anyone had a similar need as this?
> > Were you able to specify a location other than /u01?
>
> > Thank you,
> > Bill
>
> Never tried what you are doing because I can't think of why anyone
> would want a standby on the same server as the primary. What is the
> logic?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Daniel,

I am creating the physical standby on the same server for practice. That server holds only test versions of production databases. In this environment I can safely work without fear of damaging a production database. I created a flash recovery area and put the database in flashback database mode. The third step is the creation of the standby. Once I am sure of these steps I will repeat them on production databases. For production databases the standby will be on a different server than the primary.

Our Oracle databases do not reside in /u01 but in user defined file systems on a separate UNIX volume group.

So back to my original question, does anyone know how to use EM Grid Control to create a standby database in a location other than /u01?

Thank you,
Bill Received on Thu Oct 18 2007 - 09:07:41 CDT