Re: All Recent Backups Appear "EXPIRED" through RMAN

From: sillz <beth.stover_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:03:02 -0700

On Oct 17, 12:26 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com (Jerome Vitalis) wrote:
> sillz wrote:
> > We're using Oracle Database Server, Standard Edition version 9.2.0.7.
> > Windows 2003 SP2. We have created backup sets using autobackup turned
> > on, archive mode on and Backup Exec as the backup solution.
>
> According to your persistant RMAN configuration, and if you do not
> allocate specific tape channels for your backups, we can gather that
> Backup Exec is not used directly as a media manager within RMAN. It puts
> the backup pieces on tapes afterwards, and it deletes them from disks.
> Right?
>
> Then what you observe is normal since the backup pieces aren't at their
> original location anymore. Restore them with Backup Exec and run
> "crosscheck backup;" once more time.
>
> To prevent such inconsistencies, you can run a "change backup ...
> unavailable;" command after Backup Exec deletes the backups from disk.
> Then those backups will never expire. Of course, run "change backup ...
> available;" after you restore them to disk if you want RMAN to make use of
> them.
> -----
> échangez opinions et commentaires dans les forums de discussion.http://www.usenetgratuit.com/

Thanks Jerome,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "BackupExec is not used directly as a media manager within RMAN."

If I look at the BackupExec job log, here are the RMAN commands -- it opens a channel for tape:

RUN {
 ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch0

     TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
 SEND
'BSA_SERVICE_HOST=10.1.1.176,NBBSA_TOTAL_STREAMS=1,NBBSA_JOB_COOKIE={E7A7213E- A747-4AB9-B162-B7189B5CEB53},NBBSA_DB_DEVICE_NAME=Oracle-Win::\ \servername.mydomain.com\PROD';
 BACKUP

     INCREMENTAL LEVEL=0
     FORMAT 'BE_U'
     DATABASE FORCE PLUS ARCHIVELOG FORCE;

 RELEASE CHANNEL ch0;
 }

We're not backing up to disk and then archiving to tape -- we're backing up to tape.

We're having problems with BackupExec seeing the server, so we can't use it to restore right now. We've had a case open with SYmantec for over a month and thye can't figure it out.

Because we can't use BUE, we've turned to restoring using RMAN.

Any other ideas why all of my backups would be showing as expired?

Beth Received on Wed Oct 17 2007 - 11:03:02 CDT