package session vars/ logins

From: Jake <jgarfield_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:01:21 -0700

Would it be a realistic usage of package vars to hold, for example, a userid of a current logged in user?

Say, for example, if I had a table of usernames, passwords, and userids. I could have the person using the application log in and check their user name and password in a table (basically handling the login myself). From that point they can access that user's data. Once the session ends their access to data ends too.

This is how I would do it in PHP/MySql (w/ PHP session vars) or VB .NET/Sql Server. Not sure if the example translates though, or would you want a separate Oracle username for each person?

Also, what are some other realistic uses of package vars? thanks. Received on Sun Oct 14 2007 - 22:01:21 CDT