Re: Process Resource Manager (PRM) on HP UNIX

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:38:18 -0700

On Oct 14, 11:08 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 04:44:51 -0700, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >Oracle Resource Manager works within a database instance, however, PRM
> >woks across database instances. Most of the packages applications have
> >only one database user, so Oracle Resource Manager cannot be used.
> >Each packaged application will be in its own database instance, so
> >database can be shutdown/restarted independently.
>
> There is no reason, why each application should end up in a separate
> database.
> So what we actually see here, is the combined stupidity of developers
> and dbas and bean counters.
> Putting each applicaition in a separate database is just a method to
> waste resources.
> Obviously there are other ways to put application offline, simply by
> changing the tablespace status.
> Woe the 'company' which marriages incompetent developers and/or
> incompetent 3rd party sw with incompetent dbas and incompetent
> management.
> They will throw away way more money, they even might get bankrupt.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

We are talking here consoldiating production environments. Different applications have their own release schedule, they can be even on different versions of Oracle (many times vendors have not certified their application with a specific version of Oracle). Also some times vendors have hardcoded names for schemas or schema names conflict. So puttng application in its own databse instance provides more
felxibility. Reading literature on PRM, it seems a very good tool for cosolidation. Received on Sun Oct 14 2007 - 10:38:18 CDT