Re: Process Resource Manager (PRM) on HP UNIX

From: <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:27:25 +0200

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:01:40 -0700, wrote:

>HP UNIX 11.11 or higher. Oracle 10.1 or higher.
>My company will be consolidating many oracle database instances from
>different servers
>into one large HP UNIX server. We are not allowed to use vPAR/NPAR. I
>want to use HP UNIX's Process Resource Manager to disttribure
>resources (CPU, memory, disk i/o bandwidth..); i.e, Oracle instance 1
>(db1) cannot use more than 25% of CPU during peak times, so one or
>more instances do not hog all the resources.
>I did not find any thing on metalink regarding PRM, but the tool
>appears very good because it lets one use as much resources one want
>if other instances are not using, however, if other instances need
>those resources, it will free them, so a instance can not use more
>than its assigned resources (e.g., 25% CPU) during peak time.
>Does any one have experience using PRM, whether it has any side
>effects. Any pointers will be helpful.

Oracle has RAC and a product called Database Vault for this purpose. So, as they have never recommended fiddling around with process priorities, they likely won't support PRM. That is probably the exact reason why you can't find anything about PRM. Also, Oracle has it's own Resource Manager in the database.

All in all, it looks like you are not going to use PRM, but you are just embarking on a project called 'Pennywise and Pound Foolish', and your customers will observe a serious performance hit, and you are constantly trying to hack yourself out, in order to conform to the stupid decisions of the bean counters usually called 'managers'

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA