Re: bind variables/injection attacks

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:40:32 -0700

On Oct 12, 8:04 am, Jake <jgarfi..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Is the usage of bind variables sufficient to prevent injection
> attacks?
>
> In other words, if I use bind variables for all inputs coming from the
> user, is there any way that I could have a problem with injection
> attacks still?

The use of bind variables alone will not 100% eliminate the risk of SQL injection attacks since the database itself has a few modules (packages) subject to SQL injection attack.

The application needs to use prepared SQL with bind variables and the program should be written such that the data value input length is limited to the allowable length of acceptable values for the field. This will pretty much prevent SQL injection attacks from succeeding.

Just as importantly the Oracle security needs to be paid careful attention to so that application and/or user's have only those privileges needed and no more. Avoid granting any of the ANY object privileges: select any table, delete any table, create any procedure, etc... The security bugs in Oracle usually depend on or derive from having these privileges.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Oct 12 2007 - 09:40:32 CDT