Re: patch upgrade for AIX5L

From: Noons <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:04:25 -0700

On Oct 10, 6:33 pm, Laurenz Albe <> wrote:

> I have a hunch that this might be the problem described in Metalink
> Note 454671.1.
> We have encountered that problem when applying patches by hand.
> Basically "opatch" is hanging with some patches on AIX because of an
> unidentified problem within Oracle's JDK. It works if you use a
> different JDK.

Yeah thanks, I read that note too.

> If this is really your problem, then you could proceed by skipping the
> Configuration Assistant and applying the patches by hand employing the
> workaround. The problem is to find out *which* patches the Configuration
> Assistant tries to apply and what else it does...

the thing that is not clear to me neither in the note nor here is: if the problem is with opatch, how is running it by hand - with opatch - instead of with oui, going to help?

> If you have a support contract with Oracle, I'd open a service request
> and point them to Note 454671.1

I did. It's also more or less solved now.

For the record:

I cancelled out of the Oneoff thing. Had to kill the OUI to get it to stop. Wonderful...

Then I went back, in the same terminal session I had used for the install, to base installation.

Ran it through, including the bits at the end.

Then I ran the again. It went through without the slightest problem and I got a install complte.

But lo and behold: if I now run opatch, it hangs and leaves a locked file behind that stops me from using it again.

Interesting, isn't it? I soooooo looove all this deranged and moronic java-based install

Nothing like a flakie install to increase the level of confidence in a product!

Ah well, at least the darn thing is on Now, to brace myself for the inevitable obvious bugs that should never have made it to that release... Received on Wed Oct 10 2007 - 05:04:25 CDT

Original text of this message