Re: 10.2.0.3 patch upgrade for AIX5L

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:04:25 -0700

On Oct 10, 6:33 pm, Laurenz Albe <inv..._at_spam.to.invalid> wrote:

> I have a hunch that this might be the problem described in Metalink
> Note 454671.1.
> We have encountered that problem when applying patches by hand.
> Basically "opatch" is hanging with some patches on AIX because of an
> unidentified problem within Oracle's JDK. It works if you use a
> different JDK.

Yeah thanks, I read that note too.

> If this is really your problem, then you could proceed by skipping the
> Configuration Assistant and applying the patches by hand employing the
> workaround. The problem is to find out *which* patches the Configuration
> Assistant tries to apply and what else it does...

the thing that is not clear to me neither in the note nor here is: if the problem is with opatch, how is running it by hand - with opatch - instead of with oui, going to help?

> If you have a support contract with Oracle, I'd open a service request
> and point them to Note 454671.1

I did. It's also more or less solved now.

For the record:

I cancelled out of the Oneoff thing. Had to kill the OUI to get it to stop. Wonderful...

Then I went back, in the same terminal session I had used for the install, to 10.2.0.1 base installation.

Ran it through, including the root.sh bits at the end.

Then I ran the 10.2.0.3 again. It went through without the slightest problem and I got a 10.2.0.3 install complte.

But lo and behold: if I now run opatch, it hangs and leaves a locked file behind that stops me from using it again.

Interesting, isn't it? I soooooo looove all this deranged and moronic java-based install
technology...

Nothing like a flakie install to increase the level of confidence in a product!

Ah well, at least the darn thing is on 10.2.0.3. Now, to brace myself for the inevitable obvious bugs that should never have made it to that release... Received on Wed Oct 10 2007 - 05:04:25 CDT