Re: Oracle Migration Workbench

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:39:19 +0200

Brenda wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I am learning how to use this tool from Oracle, to migrate from a
> Sybase database to an Oracle 10g.
> I have worked with DTS from SQL and with that tool I could map the
> fields from the source schema to any fields from the destination
> schema. Also I could add validations and transformations during the
> migration.
> As far as I can see, with OMW I cannot select the destintation table
> or map the fields from the source with the destination. Maybe I am not
> using it correctly.
> Is there a way to add validations in the migration of data from source
> to destination? Or change the destination tables?
> Please, any help would be very appreciated.
> Thanks a lot.
> Brenda.-

No you cannot - it is designed as a migration tool, not as a cross platform ETL tool.

The one thing you can do, is change datatypes, though limited.

Tne table(s) will be created, and bcp is used to extract data, which is then imported, using SQL*Loader. Controlfiles for SQL*Loader are generated, but for LOBs, these have limited use. Maybe the latest version have changed.

There is/was/used to be a very responsive development team.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...