Re: Performance Monitoring

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN0SP4M_at_gmail.com.invalid>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:37:29 +0200

joel garry wrote:
> On Oct 5, 4:08 am, Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN0S..._at_gmail.com.invalid>

>> Shouldn't point 2 read as follows?
>> "[...] For example, if some silly SQL reads an entire table to get a
>> few rows, you wil likely have a lot of unnecessary I/O that *will* fill
>> up the SGA."

> No.
>
> For example, I ran this:

Ah, OK then! That was about FTS.
In fact, I had completely misunderstood the purpose of your sentence. I thought you wanted to say that if some program happens to read many more rows than necessary, it would result in "useless" blocks entering the buffer cache.

After re-reading your sentence, especially the "entire table" part, it now seems more obvious to me that you were referring to FTS. My bad.

Thanks for your answer, Joel. Received on Fri Oct 05 2007 - 18:37:29 CDT