Histograms on Columns for CBO

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:05:37 -0700

I am on Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Wiindows 2000, but I will like to know for any version of Oracle - 9.2 or later, following can be done.

I have created function based indexes on upper of columns, foe example upper(reportedby). I have a histogram on column reportedby, it will really not help when query is done on upper(reportedby) in deciding whether one should use index vs full table scan. Is there a way to create histogram on upper(reportedby) similar to function based indexes.

I have a packaged application (I cannot modify source code). There are several queries which use upper(reportedby) like '%JOE%' in where clause, I created function based index on upper(reportedby), however fb index does not get used. I was wondering whether it is possible to create histograms to influence CBO. Received on Fri Oct 05 2007 - 12:05:37 CDT