How many people here rebuid index regularly?

From: charlie cs <charliecs(nospam)_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:10:00 GMT

We are on 9i Oracle.

Search on the internet, some expert say
"In the overwhelming majority of cases, indexes are extremely well
self-maintained and index rebuilds are NOT required, ever."

Tom Kytes in his website says
"The time lag between index rebuilds should be approximately FOREVER.
Tell me -- why why why WHY are you rebuilding them on a schedule? What is the scientific
basis in reality that is driving you to do this???? "

And some other site says:
"First rule of thumb is if the index has height greater than four, rebuild
the index. For most indexes, the height of the index will be quite low, i.e. one or two. I have seen an index on a 3 million-row table that had height three. An index with height greater than four may need to be rebuilt as this might indicate a skewed tree structure. "

Which one is right?

Thanks for your comments

Thanks Received on Thu Oct 04 2007 - 21:10:00 CDT