Re: Unexplainable: "Beautified" code runs slower

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:01:21 +0200

ivl5_at_hotmail.com schrieb:
> On Oct 2, 10:27 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

>>> You have a new problem then: why does it run faster, shouldn't it be
>>> the same? :)
>> No.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect#Use_in_information_techn...
>> :)http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2007/09/tuning-with-sqltracetrue.html;)

> No. "it ran faster than it ever has" means "beautified" code now runs
> faster than the old "ugly" code. Is n't it a new problem? :)
>
> Igor
>
>> jg
>> --
>> @home.com is bogus.http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/09/iphone_user...

The "problem" as i see it is, that a lot of people don't realize the fact (i speak now from my personal experience), that code don't belong in the database, it belong in the source code repository. If the code will be checked out, reformatted, beautiied, whatever , then checked in and again deployed in the database by means of sqlplus ( because the sqlplus is the only reference client one can rely on) - such issues would not even arise, because you'll never see in the source code things like "ALTER PACKAGE COMPILE DEBUG". Such habits (not using code repository) may cause a lot of problems, that was only example of one of   many possibilities...

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Oct 02 2007 - 02:01:21 CDT