Re: Import problems on Windows Server

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:18:24 -0700

On Oct 1, 12:00 pm, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger..._at_torver.net> wrote:
> > So what makes you think I'm a dba? I was an independent relational
> > database consultant before you had any "industrial experience."
>
> Not according to this you hadn't; I started my career in IT in August 1986
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/resumen.htm
>
> --
> Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVPhttp://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson
> [Ramblings from the field from a SQL consultant]http://sqlserverfaq.com
> [UK SQL User Community]

I was independent with Beck Computer Systems most of the time with them - it was a running joke, as they were a start-up and had customers doing odd things. Hard to explain on a resume, harder to explain to banks, especially where I was working two jobs. But easy to explain to the IRS. Go figure. Then the body shops and gummint subsubs and the onesey-twosey things I don't even bother to mention. But you know all about that, right?

>From 1984 on I had my own PDP-11. It stopped earning its keep when I
started concentrating on Oracle, when it became obvious to me Oracle was superior, from a business perspective, around 1989. For a long time after I decided to concentrate on Oracle, most of my work was heterogenous. My company has been in the yellow pages since 1984. Sometimes other companies use it, sometimes they hire me directly, sometimes they sub me from someone else. I could care less as long as I get paid, though I'd rather be fulltime/perm these days, with the US health benefit issues and all. If companies _want_ to pay me more than they have to, that's fine by me. Oddly enough, I seem to last longer as a temp, no one tries to make me a PHB.

I've never gotten any business from the yellow pages, just phonespam and people trying to find someone to fix their stupid PC. But it makes me legitimate as far as banks are concerned. Businesses just don't look for serious consulting in the yellow pages. I have gotten business from cdos. wtf.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Where'd the summer go?