Unexplainable: "Beautified" code runs slower

From: userjohn <userjohn_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:24:21 -0400

10gR2 EE (10.2.0.3.0) /Solaris

I have run into the biggest "mystery" in my 7 years of PL/SQL programming - my inability to even GUESS is so unacceptable to me it is driving me up the walls.

So I inherited this stored procedure (in pkg), it is very "ugly" - code in mixed cases , badly formatted, excess spaces here and there, lines out of alignment etc - you get the idea. I'd guess the original code was done in a text editor.

So I "beautified" the code (in IDE tool "PL/SQL Developer") - WITHOUT CHANGING A SINGLE BYTE OF THE ACTUAL CODE. Mystery: Pretty code is nearly 6 times slower - I tested back and forth for the entire weekend.
(no other users)
Result is consistent: "beautified" code is ALWAYS 6 times slowers.

Someone please shed some light on what might be going on.

thanks !

ps: no i did run it under trace yet - becuase it is just so unbelievably unexplainable to me
why this should happen. Received on Sun Sep 30 2007 - 23:24:21 CDT