Re: Select count(*) in Oracle and MySQL

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:03:49 -0700

> I need the count(*) because I want to know how many rows there are in
> the table.

Here the biggest problem is neither Oracle nor MySQL. The biggest problem are your requirements. Do you REALLY care whether your table have 250 123 123 rows or 250 321 321 rows? What makes the difference? If you REALLY care then it is not OLTP type of query, then it is report. Reports are NOT calculated on the fly each minute. A while ago I wrote exactly about such problems in my blog Where bad performance starts at http://gplivna.blogspot.com/2007/03/where-bad-performance-starts-my.html

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu Received on Sun Sep 30 2007 - 15:03:49 CDT