Re: Select count(*) in Oracle and MySQL

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:37:13 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:24:49 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> And neither is worth anything if your organization happens to be subject
>>> to any form of governmental or banking governance, auditing or
>>> compliance regulation among them Sarbanes Oxley (SEC), HIPAA (DHHS),
>>> Electronic Storage of Brokerage Dealer Records (SEC), FACTA (FTC), Gramm
>>> Leach Bliley (FTC), Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI),
>>> PIPEDA (Privacy Commissioner Canada), Basel II (Bank for International
>>> Settlements), or numerous other rules and regs.
>>
>> Unless, of course, you have auxiliary databases, not critical to the
>> company, or your company is not a publicly traded one. Joe's Bar & Grill
>> is not subject to any of those regulations and it still needs a database.
>
> If Joe's Bar & Grill takes credit cards, and they do, they are subject
> to PCI regulations which they agreed to when they signed the contract
> with their bank.

and which can be met in a mySQL environment.

> Does Joe's do credit or background checks on employees as part of the
> hiring process? If so they are subject to FACTA too.
>
> Do they keep any customer records of any type that could potentially be
> used for identity theft? If so they are subject to Gramm-Leach.

new ones on me - the wording of the acts doesn't seem to mandate technologies, but special care for or non-disclosure of specific types of information except for specific reasons, in other words a business process thing. I don't see anything that would preclude mySQL there either. I wouldn't run CSFB's trading account on it, but Joe's bar sales on a Friday night look fine.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA