Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_nospam.bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:11:04 GMT

"Tony Rogerson" <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net> wrote in message news:fdo1jn$sq4$1$8300dec7_at_news.demon.co.uk...
>> Ummm, just how hard did you try ?
>>
>> Really ?
>>

> Yer - great; did you try that yourself?
>
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/ranked?word=with&remark=federated_search
>
> How many of the 27K+ links do I need to trawl through?
>
> Like I said, I want to search on terminology not on syntax - for instance,
> we call using the WITH syntax a 'common table expression' I've no idea
> what the equiv is in Oracle.
>
> Another example, the common SQL Standard term "derived table"
>
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/ranked?word=derived+table&partno=b28286
>
> The first link states support for it but how do I use it? Not one link to
> SELECT statement for instance.
>
>> Perhaps Oracle has colour coded syntax after all :)
>
> Perhaps not.

Oh boy Tony, you're really struggling aren't you.

I said a search on 'WITH *clause*', as the word 'with' is a rather generic word on it's own isn't. I wonder what the SQL manuals returns on a search on 'with' ?

Actually I tried and it returned 2,614,868 results back and not a useful link in sight for someone looking for the WITH SQL statement I was after ?

I then tried the 'With Statement' as it was an option that the search window offered me so I went with it hoping for some useful info. Guess what, I now got presented with 944,955 links with the first 50 giving links to based on the word 'Statement' rather than 'With'. What the ... ?

I then tried a search on 'With clause'. You guessed it, 42,185 links showing links on things to do with 'clause' ...

Looks like SQL Server uses a stopword on a SQL statement keyword. Brilliant !!

Hey, maybe it's the SQL Server online manuals that are really really bad and difficult to use as I can't seem to find what I'm after without trolling through 100,000s of links.

A search on 'With clause' in the Oracle doco btw and wham bam, all the first 10 links all point to what I'm after.

Hey Tony, you're not colour blind by any chance ?

Cheers :)

Richard Received on Sun Sep 30 2007 - 07:11:04 CDT