Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Richard Foote <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:41:31 GMT

"Tony Rogerson" <> wrote in message news:fdns2m$ln9$1$
> Hi Richard,
> Click on the 2 day dev link (html) and it takes you here
> which is high level index, click on master index - I want a list of all
> topics so I can scroll down.
> Search is only useful if you know the correct terminolgy to search on.
> Take an example, in SQL Server we have what's called 'Common Table
> Expression'; searching for that on the oracle help does not yeild anything
> similar in oracle yet I know there is something, so, what I need is a full
> scrollable index of topics so I can find what I'm looking for.
>> It does all rather suggest you're perfectly suited to working only with
>> Microsoft products ;)
> Absolutely - which is probably why I moved with SQL Server rather into
> Oracle when I had the choice.
> I prefer to concentrate on providing a solution to the business problem
> rather than concentrating on being syntax clever.
> I suppose if this is all you are used to (the oracle documentation
> structure) then I guess that is all you know - it's only until you use
> something better that you realise how much better life is - a bit like the
> introduction of colour coded syntax that helps you detect when you've
> spelt slect wrong...

Hi Tony

With my admittedly limited knowledge of SQL Server, I believe that a Common Table Expression is used in conjunction with the WITH clause. A search in the Oracle documentation of 'With clause' listed a hell of a lot of results that look a lot like SQL Server Common Table Expressions.

Ummm, just how hard did you try ?

Really ?

Perhaps Oracle has colour coded syntax after all :)

Richard Received on Sun Sep 30 2007 - 05:41:31 CDT

Original text of this message