Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:58:28 +0100

Hi Richard,

Click on the 2 day dev link (html) and it takes you here http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28843/toc.htm which is high level index, click on master index - I want a list of all topics so I can scroll down.

Search is only useful if you know the correct terminolgy to search on.

Take an example, in SQL Server we have what's called 'Common Table Expression'; searching for that on the oracle help does not yeild anything similar in oracle yet I know there is something, so, what I need is a full scrollable index of topics so I can find what I'm looking for.

> It does all rather suggest you're perfectly suited to working only with
> Microsoft products ;)

Absolutely - which is probably why I moved with SQL Server rather into Oracle when I had the choice.

I prefer to concentrate on providing a solution to the business problem rather than concentrating on being syntax clever.

I suppose if this is all you are used to (the oracle documentation structure) then I guess that is all you know - it's only until you use something better that you realise how much better life is - a bit like the introduction of colour coded syntax that helps you detect when you've spelt slect wrong...

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson