Re: Import problems on Windows Server

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:22:51 +0100

> Why are you such a coward and a hypocrite NOT to admit according to
> your OWN research the Mickeysoft ODBC drivers do NOT support ANY
> Oracle feature beyond 7.3?

Man - do you not understand English?

Read the KB article - what does it say?

>>From Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.5 and later
>>versions,
>>both the Microsoft ODBC Driver and OLE DB Provider support Oracle 8i with

SUPPORTS ORACLE 8i WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS.....

That is a bit different from YOUR statement about it not supporting ANY feaure beyond 7.3.

You've been caught out yet again sybrnadb, people need only follow the URL to the MS site - its there for all to see.

It actually makes comercial sense, MS have put effort into their .NET platform; they have OLE-DB to connect to third party databases and data sources and SQL Native Client to connect to SQL Server, why should they put resource into further developing ODBC when it's there are other methods to connect to those databases? There are plenty of non MS ODBC drivers that will connect with the various editions of non-MS databases, some of the drivers are actually better.

Anyway, the point is - this myth you are spreading about you cannot use ODBC against Oracle version 7.3 above is just plain rubbish, the url that disproves your point is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q244661/

> Doesn't your denial means you don't know shit about Oracle?

I know nothing about Oracle anymore but thats not why I'm posting, it's you that have entered into unchartered waters with your flame against me and my replies against DA's attempt at myth'ing some rubbish about Windows Server.

Free speech - I'm here to stay dude - get used to it; when you see a post relating to SQL Server or Windows I'll be there with an answer to any myth you might want to TRY and spread.

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson