Re: Select count(*) in Oracle and MySQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:11:55 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:24:49 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> And neither is worth anything if your organization happens to be subject
>> to any form of governmental or banking governance, auditing or
>> compliance regulation among them Sarbanes Oxley (SEC), HIPAA (DHHS),
>> Electronic Storage of Brokerage Dealer Records (SEC), FACTA (FTC), Gramm
>> Leach Bliley (FTC), Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI),
>> PIPEDA (Privacy Commissioner Canada), Basel II (Bank for International
>> Settlements), or numerous other rules and regs.
>
> Unless, of course, you have auxiliary databases, not critical to the
> company, or your company is not a publicly traded one. Joe's Bar & Grill
> is not subject to any of those regulations and it still needs a database.

If Joe's Bar & Grill takes credit cards, and they do, they are subject to PCI regulations which they agreed to when they signed the contract with their bank.

Does Joe's do credit or background checks on employees as part of the hiring process? If so they are subject to FACTA too.

Do they keep any customer records of any type that could potentially be used for identity theft? If so they are subject to Gramm-Leach.

As they teach in law school:
Ignorantia juris non excusat
"ignorance of the law does not excuse"
or
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat
("ignorance of the law excuses no one")

I will grant the risk of prosecution is very low. But that is hardly the standard to which one should aspire.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington