Re: Import problems on Windows Server

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:41:09 -0700

On Sep 28, 12:06 am, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger..._at_torver.net> wrote:
> > I've never seen this behavior but then I never run Oracle on Windows
> > for production. From that you may be able to draw your own conclusion. <g>
>
> That's what happens when you close your eyes and enter a state of Denial
> Again Morgan.
>
> NT 3.51 and 4.0 where pretty hard to use; I've worked for many folks who got
> there money's worth out of their investment tho which is what matters to the
> business.
>
> 2003, 2003 R2 are very different products - it's a pitty you've closed your
> eyes to them; but please - keep your misconceptions and myths to yourself
> and stop migrating your myths/misconceptions from a very early version onto
> the current version - pretty much like you do with SQL Server.....

I've been on every version from whatever it was when the IBM PC first came out to XP. Each time I try to give it a fair try. Each time it bitch-slaps me. I use XP 8-12 hours a day. I'm not happy about it. I'm glad most of the work is just using X or browsers to get to real servers. I have no choice about mail and app clients and OS at customers.

I sometimes think about putting up an "X days with no Microsoft problems" sign on my cube. I could do it with a 1 and a 0, without using binary. But the guy whose job it is to deal with those problems is a nice guy and doesn't deserve it.

I bought a couple of 500G Buffalo drives for backing stuff up at home (couple of XP computers). It came with Memeo autobackup software. The first time I used the backup, it died with a misleading error. After some back-and-forth on their forum, eventually figured out it was because Buffalo ships the drive formatted FAT-32, and Memeo was trying to write a 4.5G file. Many questions about this on the board and an answer in the FAQ which had no mention of this obvious and stupid problem. Memeo leaves mysterious file handles open even after you kill it off, making for some interesting issues trying to reformat. Buffalo docs say to use their reformatting facility, which doesn't have NTFS as an option. This is typical for most vendors in the MS world and products from MS. At least, that has been my experience over and over for more than a quarter century. Maybe it is skewed, but so? Am I wrong to expect people writing software for money to give at least a modicum of quality?

Why should I think SQL Server, especially newer features trying to catch up with what Oracle has had users pounding on for years, should be any different? Whether Dan is biased or coming from a position of knowledge, I agree with his sentiment.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19977