Re: system user locked after crash

From: fp <francesco.pighi_at_hotmail.it>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:43:21 +0200

<fitzjarrell_at_cox.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1190991043.869175.213700_at_r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 28, 8:04 am, "fp" <francesco.pi..._at_hotmail.it> wrote:
>> Hi, we have an application running with OracleXE 10g on Windows.
>
> Interesting. Which release of Windows? What sort of application
> would this be? I suspect it's a fairly small application given that
> you're using XE and there are database size limitations.

It's a desktop app written in .Net which uses Oracle ODP.Net. The lock of the system user was found on a Win Xp Pro SP2 machine. It's worth noting that this is the first case in 200+ installations.

>> It's not unusual that the application runs in the same pc which host the
>> db
>> server.
>
> It may not be unusual in your shop but I certainly wouldn't recommend
> such a practice.

Me too... in fact we are pushing our customer to adopt Oracle STD and buy a dedicated Oracle server for each office (which has from 1 to 6 or 7 clients). They were used in this way because of the previous application that is going to be replaced by ours.

>> It happened that, after a sudden crash of the system and after the
>> windows
>> reboot, the Oracle system user was locked.
>>

> You're assuming the SYSTEM user account was unlocked prior to the
> crash, and that may not be the case. The SYSTEM user may have been
> locked prior to the crash and you only discovered this after the
> system was restarted. Do you possess logs from any scheduled tasks
> which could prove otherwise? We really need more information than you
> have currently provided.

I haven't logs which could prove my statement, and in fact it was just an assumption based on the fact that the system password is the same in all the installations and it has never changed from our first installation up til now. We have a bunch of functions in a windows service which, periodically, uses the system user to perform database specific tasks (gather stats, unlock users, etc), but the pwd is embedded (crypted) in the c# code, so, i presume (but at this point I'm not so sure), it can't be wrong.

Unfortunately this office is assisted by an external IT service and they called us just to fix the problem, they only said me that none of them tried to connect manually as system (in sqlplus for example).

Thank you very much anyway, and sorry for my italenglish :-) I presume this matter will remain unknown.

--
francesco pighi