Object locks - after restart

From: Naren <narendra.sharma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:55:37 -0700

Consider following situation:

  1. A application connects to Oracle database using JDBC
  2. The application starts a JDBC transaction
  3. One of the query takes very long (more than an hour) to complete and as a result the application request times out. The query was badly written and the number of records it processes is in millions.

>From application perspective there was some issue in processing the
request. So the user initiated same request again. Because the operation involves same records, oracle throws DISTRIBUTED_LOCK_TIMEOUT error because the first transaction is still running.

The question:
If I restart the oracle database, will oracle release the locks held by the first transaction? Logically I will release because the session that was holding the lock was killed when we restarted database. Is this logical understanding correct or there is something more to it?

I would appreciate if you can also point me to oracle documentation that describes this well.

Thanks,
Naren Received on Fri Sep 28 2007 - 07:55:37 CDT