Re: Import problems on Windows Server

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:00:10 -0700

On Sep 26, 4:21 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am using Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Windows 2000. I ran an import which takes
> many hours. 1st time I ran import, it "finished". When I looked at
> import log file, it did not complete import of all the tables.
> Verified that whatever tables specified in import are the only tables
> imported in database.
>
> Deleted all the objects in schema and redid import. This time it went
> beyond last time, import log file showed more tables. But then import
> stopped writing to log file, however import was still going on. I
> looked in database it has all the tables, views etc, so import
> seems successful. Why import log was not updated? Import log time
> stamp shows that lwriting to log was stopped 10 hours ago. Imp
> process was still running,
>
> I do not see any error messages written to alert log file or in
> Windows event logs. What is going on? I have done import on Windows
> server on several other databases, did not encounter such problems in
> the past.

Are you running out of disk space? You might have preextended your tablespaces so there is room there, but no room to write the log? Then later, you couldn't write archived logs, freezing the db? Imp waiting for db to unfreeze so it can continue? Do you have quotas? Do you have large redologs? Fragmented disk misleading you about space available? DMT's? Autoextend? Trying to reload slightly larger objects than the ones they replaced?

If all else fails, maybe you need to drop user, drop tablespace, shutdown Oracle, defragment disk, recreate ts, etc.

(I welcome any critique here.)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.