Re: Performance Monitoring

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:32:50 -0700

On Sep 26, 4:41 am, Stefan Wetter <swet..._at_arcor.de> wrote:
> Hello NG!
>
> I'm pretty new to this theme. My task is, at the moment, to improve the
> performance of a database of one of our customers.
>
> I monitored the database-activity with the help of some tools and find
> pretty much DISK-IO (read). I think that should be lower. To the same
> time, the buffers are only filled half.
>
> I think i should find out, wich tables cause the physical reads (, to
> examine which process does need them to optimize the clients if necessary.
> If not, i would change the storage clauses of that tables to use another
> part of the buffers.)
>
> So, my question at this time is: how can i find out which tables (or
> maybe indexes) cause the disk-io?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
> Stefan

I recommend doing almost nothing else first except purchase and read Cary Millsap's book "Optimizing Oracle Performance".

You have invented your own way of trying to fix things. Cary has a well documented and repeatable methodology based on an deep understanding. Received on Wed Sep 26 2007 - 17:32:50 CDT