Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:59:39 -0700

On Sep 26, 3:21 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote: [snip]
> Were it not for a substantial history, available for your review, I
> would agree. Unfortunately Bob just got off a rant telling Jonathan
> Lewis and Richard Foote they didn't know anything about BHCR and
> treating Connor's classic work like it was unworthy of note.

Actually, I was central to that thread, too, and he said much the same in my direction.

So?

My point is, based on that, you've dismissed his comments in this thread. Whatever you think of HIM, the OP deserved better. The subject deserved better.

> Coming
> from that background I think it reasonable to assume, as I did, that
> Bob's only purpose was to be negative toward an Oracle technology of
> which he was totally and equally ignorant.

No he wasn't, and the fact that he's taken a curmudgeonly attitude to a ratio doesn't mean you can make sweeping assertions like that.

> Here in the US we commonly discuss using ASM for migration. And Bob
> is here in the US. So his usage, if he knew anything of the topic,
> should have been that usage.

Come off it. The US might be a different country, but it's not a different planet. And this is the Internet anyway which, last time I looked, was available in pretty well all 192 countries around the globe. So stop being so parochial about it. What you "commonly" or uncommonly discuss is not the point: we're having a discussion in a specific thread, on a specific newsgroup, about a specific topic and not all participants are citizens of the US or speak English as their native language. Deal with the thread as it is, not as you magisterially deem it "should have" been.

> Failing that one could go to tahiti.oracle.com and look up "ASM" and
> "migration" and find page after page of docs discussing the value of
> ASM with respect to migration. Not one of which, that I can find,
> discusses using ASM to change operating systems.

That's called putting the cart before the horse! Of course there won't be articles about ASM and changing operating systems because ASM is of no help or assistance in changing operating systems! That was (of course) Bob's point. It was also my point ...and I believe it was the misconceptionn underlying the OP's original comment that sparked all of this!

> So were it another situation or another thread I would agree. In this
> case I believe my assumptions reasonable.

No, they weren't. I'm telling you that I found them completely UNreasonable. You are free to ignore that, but it remains the case regardless.

> BTW: Bob's name isn't Bob. Read his BHCR posts and remember back a
> few years to some phony Amazon reviews.

I don't care. You trashed the man AND THE POINT HE WAS MAKING. You might feel entirely justified in the former. The latter is never acceptable. Received on Wed Sep 26 2007 - 00:59:39 CDT