Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: gerryt <lepsysinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:02:01 -0700

On Sep 24, 8:45 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> Wrong on both accounts. You just never stop with the wholesale ignorance
> >> do you.
> >>ASMmakes migration easier. As to drawbacks one can only assume that if
> >> you actually knew of one you'd have named it so another classic BJ moment.
> >> Yep, just another example of turning off the lights and throwing mud at
> >> Oracle: Impressive. So far you've only managed to get yourself dirty.
> > Well, just to abort the mud-pie contest before it really starts, how
> > about explaining **how**ASMmakes migration easier? That is, how it
> > makes turning a Windows database into a Solaris one (say) any easier
> > than it would be in a non-ASMenvironment...;
> Your use of Windows and Solaris confuses the issue. You are asking
> about operating systems andASM is about storage. And not the
> storage of your Oracle binaries.
> Let me ask your question in a manner consistent with what ASM
> is and does.
> "... how it makes turning a database stored on an EMC filer into
> one stored on a Hitachi filer"
> If you can mount a disk system you can create an ASM diskgroup. If
> you can create an ASM diskgroup you can migrate from it or to it.

Out of curiousity how many diskgroups would/do/have you use for a "medium" sized database...? medium being relative I suppose : > I have fiddled a bit with several vs. one with swingbench set at 500 simultaneous users and I get the same benchmark numbers more or less. It seems there is no advantage to say, splitting up disk groups across several diskgroups, one for flash archiving
, some for redo logs, and some for data etc..

Say no matter how you scale it, and having a single diskgroup per db is just as good or better than several, it seems that having a single pool of disks managed
by Oracle and and not requiring the SA to give out the root password to
the DBAs makes migration "easier" in pre-engineering, rollout, production, and
for OS maintenance windows later on. I think ASM should cut down a bit on
vendor finger pointing too. Did my best to stay on topic here... : > Received on Tue Sep 25 2007 - 22:02:01 CDT