Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 02:40:45 GMT

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:1190664771.991674.309190_at_50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 24, 11:24 am, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 3:16 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I agree with this. To provide an actual real-life specific example,
>> > we switched from IBM FAStT storage to EMC by adding the EMC disks to
>> > the existing diskgroup (originally with only FAStT storage). Once the
>> > rebalance to include the EMC disks had completed, we dropped the FAStT
>> > disks from the diskgroup. Clean and easy.
>>
>> > Regards,
>>
>> > Steve
>>
>> As a fan of ASM, it's always nice to see the good stories. But what
>> you've described is not a "migration" in my book. If I had to pick a
>> word, it's a "transition" from one storage vendor to another. No less
>> a powerful demonstration of ASM's capabilities for all that, of
>> course... but not (I suspect) what the OP and Bob were originally
>> talking about.
>
> I have no opinion about ASM. The original post specified hp-ux and
> linux, and those two platforms have some quite different configuration
> issues with respect to raw - for that matter, even different versions
> of hp-ux are different.

What issues? How does that make migration more difficult?

> So for Bob to say "Raw is the simplest and
> the most reliable option and if you are confident
> about performance, NFS is another choice. " to me shows that he
> really, really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Maybe you really, really don't know what I am talking about.

> A quick google finds http://docs.hp.com/en/8988/ASM-SGeRAC-tk.pdf
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/B10812_06/appendix_b.htm
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/performance/pdf/TWP_Oracle_HP_files.pdf
> etc.

What does that show? Please state your point.

> Some of Bob's other posts have made some here think if there is any
> ambiguity to Bob's post, it should be skewed against him.

Interestingly, my name got mentioned more times than migration here. Could this be a sign of FUD? Received on Tue Sep 25 2007 - 21:40:45 CDT