Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:24:01 -0700

hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Sep 25, 3:16 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree with this.  To provide an actual real-life specific example,
>> we switched from IBM FAStT storage to EMC by adding the EMC disks to
>> the existing diskgroup (originally with only FAStT storage).  Once the
>> rebalance to include the EMC disks had completed, we dropped the FAStT
>> disks from the diskgroup.  Clean and easy.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve

> As a fan of ASM, it's always nice to see the good stories. But what
> you've described is not a "migration" in my book. If I had to pick a
> word, it's a "transition" from one storage vendor to another. No less
> a powerful demonstration of ASM's capabilities for all that, of
> course... but not (I suspect) what the OP and Bob were originally
> talking about.

Technically you are correct but neither of us writes the docs or defines the words bandied about by storage vendors.

Whether that was the point of the original question requires either the OP or Bob to respond. But it again points out the likelihood of misunderstandings when terms are not well defined.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington