Re: Import Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:43:55 -0700

On Sep 22, 6:07 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How many database imports have you done? Well, once in a while you
> forget some things and need some reminders.
>
> First, if you do a full database export, and then import into another
> database, do the users have to pre-exist?
> Second, is Oracle smart enough to import things in an order that will
> not produce errors? So, if User#2 must have their objects imported
> before User #1 because of some constraints or something, will Oracle
> do that???
>
> We are exporting an 8.1.7.4 database into a 10g database.......
>
> Thanks!

Kinda depends on what exactly you are doing. In general, I do a full export without data, and specific schema or table exports for the data. I also tend to specifically not use the same schemata for production data as test (as opposed to "people who use the system" types of users) - amazing how much that cuts down on "Why are there so many unique key vio... oops I just imported into production" errors. Then I ignore the ora-904 errors for users I haven't created in test.

For an upgrade, I usually find it is a good time to winnow out the old users who should have been removed long before.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://iamchakri.blogspot.com/2007/09/one-userid-i-never-want-to-loose.html