Re: Interesting blog post

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:59:23 +0200

joel garry schrieb:
> That's a reasonable question.

Well, i really don't like to confirm Noons prediction, but since i started this thread, i thought, maybe i should write as well, what was my motivation on it.
Generally spoken, i don't think, cookbooks are evil, at least in my expirience, i use them too often. Presumed, you can rely on this particular cookbook. Of course, everybody writes a kind of himself for routined tasks - but sorry, i can't compel myself to do it in every occasion. Lastly i have (unexpected for me) to setup a dozens of redhat boxes with different Oracle versions - so i increased a visitor counter by Tim Hall about dozen for that task. Doing so, i had in the past compared his setup with Oracle documentation, with Werner Puschitz site, with Ivan Kartik site, reproduced his setup and finally found this cookbook for an reliable. On the other side, i found some cookbooks on dba-oracle.com which are simply not working. But this is not a major point - maybe another one work good, i don't aim to test all recipes from that site. The most disturbing thing from my point of view is the mentioned by Joel - the google ranking, it takes me a bit of freedom in my choice. That means, if i google for an oracle related term - i get in many cases first page with references to dba-oracle site. I don't like this ranking. I like even distribution. After about fifteen years public accessible internet, there are a lot established informational resources for oracle related terms - tahiti, asktom, co-operative faq, dizwell, orafaq and many others which cover probably most of oracle related questions. It would be nice to see them in the top results doing the fuzzy search (there is seldom an issue, if one is doing a very precise search). Unfortunately it is not the way how Google works. But who can stop me to try to change it?

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Sep 24 2007 - 14:59:23 CDT