Re: Interesting blog post

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:44:03 -0700

On Sep 24, 9:21 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > what is wrong with dba-oracle.com ? bad info ? wrong info ?

That's a reasonable question. In a very small nutshell, Don Burleson has published many books and articles, and many other people have gone through and found some errors. Some of the errors have been egregious, leading to many spats between different groups of Oracle authors and gurus. Some of the authors show their work in a manner that is easily replicable, so anyone can try it. Don tends to pontificate, giving rules of thumb and hints, without generally stating all the limitations. There are some problems that don't lend themselves to easy or cheap demonstrations, so people will pay big money for them to be fixed. Sometimes simply throwing hardware at a problem does work. Some people are offended by this, and sometimes it is more expensive than what a proper problem solving methodology would have found. In the real world, management is not always rational, so running a business tuning databases does not necessarily follow directly from a proper tuning methodology. People want cookbook solutions, but don't want to admit the ingredient list is variable. Cookbooks can work for installation, but not completely for tuning. dba-oracle.com needs so much seasoning it can give your database a heart attack. There are some interesting tidbits there, but no way for the beginning or intermediate dba to tell the difference between good and bad advice (short of finding existing discussions on disputed assertions). The website has also done some search engine optimization (there are whole conferences about that subject), so tends to rank high on google searches. Don has also just plain pissed some people off, so many will dismiss anything or anyone associated with him out of hand. Kind of too bad, since some of the authors he has published are really good.

Personally, I think he's a hoot. But I use Jonathan's and Tom's advice. I think the online spats have been a little too over the top.

> OMG!
>
> I got the feeling this is going to be another
> looong and booooring thread...

What's the deal on the Tom Kyte referenced page with all the <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span> question marks?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"We put out family-values porn." - Producer of Not The Brady's XXX