Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:16:41 -0000

On Sep 24, 11:45 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> Wrong on both accounts. You just never stop with the wholesale ignorance
> >> do you.
>
> >> ASM makes migration easier. As to drawbacks one can only assume that if
> >> you actually knew of one you'd have named it so another classic BJ moment.
>
> >> Yep, just another example of turning off the lights and throwing mud at
> >> Oracle: Impressive. So far you've only managed to get yourself dirty.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > Well, just to abort the mud-pie contest before it really starts, how
> > about explaining **how** ASM makes migration easier? That is, how it
> > makes turning a Windows database into a Solaris one (say) any easier
> > than it would be in a non-ASM environment...;
>
> Your use of Windows and Solaris confuses the issue. You are asking
> about operating systems and ASM is about storage. And not the
> storage of your Oracle binaries.
>
> Let me ask your question in a manner consistent with what ASM
> is and does.
>
> "... how it makes turning a database stored on an EMC filer into
> one stored on a Hitachi filer"
>
> If you can mount a disk system you can create an ASM diskgroup. If
> you can create an ASM disk group you can migrate from it or to it.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

I agree with this. To provide an actual real-life specific example, we switched from IBM FAStT storage to EMC by adding the EMC disks to the existing diskgroup (originally with only FAStT storage). Once the rebalance to include the EMC disks had completed, we dropped the FAStT disks from the diskgroup. Clean and easy.

Regards,

Steve Received on Mon Sep 24 2007 - 12:16:41 CDT