Re: Import Question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:29:53 -0500

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How many database imports have you done? Well, once in a while you
> forget some things and need some reminders.
>
> First, if you do a full database export, and then import into another
> database, do the users have to pre-exist?

A great way of understanding what is in the dump file is to do the following:

imp userid=system/manager file=my_dump.dmp log=show.txt full=y show=y

The above will not actually import the dump file's contents. Instead, it will show you the CREATE statements in the dump file. The output is logged to a text file for browsing.

Near the top of the dump file's contents, you should see where Oracle creates the users.

> Second, is Oracle smart enough to import things in an order that will
> not produce errors? So, if User#2 must have their objects imported
> before User #1 because of some constraints or something, will Oracle
> do that???

If you do the above, you will see that constraints are not enable until the latter stages of the import. So it doesn't matter which order the tables were actually imported.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net