Re: Best fs for Oracle RAC

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:00:26 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:

> On Sep 20, 1:26 pm, Andrea <pincopa..._at_no.it> wrote:

>> Hi,
>> we have been to value some types of Oracle RAC solutions in according to
>> which filesystem to use on SAN in cluster environment with HP-UX (or
>> Linux) platform.
>> HP says that there are this options to choose (in order of
>> importance):
>>
>> raw device
>> oracle ASM
>> OCFS (only for linux)
>> NFS in high avail.
>>
>> The our choice incline to ASM, because i think that this avoid problems
>> with platform compatibility and for easier management of datafiles.
>>
>> I would like to know if there are some papers that explain these
>> solutions of filesystem, also they defects.
>> The products that we have to install are Oracle DB 10g with RAC.
>>
>> thanks.
>> Andrea
>
> We've had great luck with ASM on both clustered and standalone
> databases, and ironically enough, our sysadmins *love* it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve

I'm not surprised. One of my ASM students earlier this year was a storage admin from EBay. Spoke with him earlier this week and he was even more impressed by it now that he has put it into production at his new employer's data center on all of their servers.

It really is as good as Oracle's marketing message claims.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington