Re: Creating ControlFile on 9i Yields OSD-04001 Errors

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:47:05 -0700

On Sep 21, 11:31 am, "basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com" <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We were running a 9i database on a Win2000 VM server which has 2
> disks; More or less
> an OS one and a data one. The VM server had many issues last weekend,
> and
> our administrator restored the image containing the 9i database, but
> he said that
> the OS and data disks were from previous images, may not be
> consistent, etc..
> As this is not a production system, I want to restore it (If nothing
> else, then to
> take a backup and/or export/import and create the database elsewhere).
>
> I tried starting the database, but had ORA-01110 (Failed verification
> check) errors.
>
> I then restored a recent backup and tried to recreate the control
> file.
>
> The error ORA-01503 (Create controlfile failed), followed by
> ORA-01565,
> ORA-27047 (Unable to read header block), and ORA-04001 (Invalid
> logical
> block size) appeared for some files, but not for others (When I
> changed
> the order to check in the create controlfile script).
>
> The db block size was always 8192, and is set to 8192 now according to
> the init<SID>.ora file.
>
> Is this a hopeless situation? I cannot see how changing the block size
> in
> init<SID>.ora will help if the database always had a size of 8192.
>
> What seems strange to me is that Oracle is not indicating corruption
> or
> verification errors, as such, but always the same OSD-04001 error.
> Why would that be if the issue is file or database corruption?
>
> Has anybody come across anything similar?
>
> Thanks,
> DF

First, you're running a desupported release of Oracle, but I expect you know that. Second you're trying to run this on a Windows 2003 Virtual Machine, which, to my knowledge, isn't supported by Oracle. Third, the O/S may not be in a consistent state as your Sys Admin informed you. I would have taken my most recent database backup, trashed the entire installation, let the Sys Admin rebuild the server so the O/S was again consistent, then re-installed Oracle and recreated  the problematic database.

I think you'll get nowhere with this mess.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Sep 21 2007 - 14:47:05 CDT