Re: Updatable Views

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:07:17 -0700

DJH wrote:
> Are there are traps to know of when using Updateable Views in Oracle?
>
> ex.
> table a, table b
> upd view: select a.foo, b.bar from a,b where a.pk=b.pk;
>
> I am assuming that Oracle will take care to update the right rows in
> either table as appropriate. Also will the triggers fire for each table
> as a normal table update?
>
> An updateable view will be come very handy for me when creating some
> forms I am about to create. Are there are drawbacks to using them?
>

> Thanks

The only thing I would suggest is that you use this view:

user_updatable_columns

Otherwise Oracle manages all that needs to be managed.

BTW: All views are updatable ... some just required you to do so using INSTEAD-OF triggers
http://www.psoug.org/reference/instead_of_trigger.html

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington