Creating ControlFile on 9i Yields OSD-04001 Errors

From: <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:31:59 -0700

Hello,

We were running a 9i database on a Win2000 VM server which has 2 disks; More or less
an OS one and a data one. The VM server had many issues last weekend, and
our administrator restored the image containing the 9i database, but he said that
the OS and data disks were from previous images, may not be consistent, etc..
As this is not a production system, I want to restore it (If nothing else, then to
take a backup and/or export/import and create the database elsewhere).

I tried starting the database, but had ORA-01110 (Failed verification check) errors.

I then restored a recent backup and tried to recreate the control file.

The error ORA-01503 (Create controlfile failed), followed by ORA-01565,
ORA-27047 (Unable to read header block), and ORA-04001 (Invalid logical
block size) appeared for some files, but not for others (When I changed
the order to check in the create controlfile script).

The db block size was always 8192, and is set to 8192 now according to the init<SID>.ora file.

Is this a hopeless situation? I cannot see how changing the block size in
init<SID>.ora will help if the database always had a size of 8192.

What seems strange to me is that Oracle is not indicating corruption or
verification errors, as such, but always the same OSD-04001 error. Why would that be if the issue is file or database corruption?

Has anybody come across anything similar?

Thanks,
DF Received on Fri Sep 21 2007 - 11:31:59 CDT