killed session holding locks

From: <jernigam_at_nospam.kochind.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:17:09 -0700

Oracle 9.2.0.7 Solaris OS 64bit

Friday we had a user abort her session when it wouldn't complete. The session continued to run on the server over the weekend. On Monday I noticed that the session was still active and blocking other processes. I killed the session. It was still holding locks later that day. Tuesday I tried killing the OS process for that session, but it stilled showed up in v$sesion as KILLED. I checked v
$transaction.used_ublk and after a day it hadn't changed, but the flag
indicated that it was rolling back. Finally on Wednesday night I restarted the instance and it resolved the problem.

In the future, I won't kill the OS session until I monitor used_ublk to see if it is making progress.

My question is, because I killed the OS session, was the record in v
$transaction still valid? Or is the rollback occuring in another
session that isn't visible in v$transaction? I could tell that Oracle had spawned some processes that didn't have records in v
$session.