Re: 11g holes

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:25:30 -0700

Shakespeare wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schreef in bericht
>> Shakespeare wrote:
>>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schreef in bericht

>>> You might find some interesting things in this presentation:
>>> http://www.red-database-security.com/wp/hitb2007_oracle_security.pdf
>>>
>>> which is the presentation he did sept 5, and hope hackers don't read
>>> this. Most of the issues are fixed in Oracle CPU's, but still....
>>> How about changing your login.sql and letting a DBA log in to Oracle on
>>> your terminal? And don't say DBAs don't do such things, I know some who
>>> would do it...
>>>
>>> Shakespeare
>> For compliance and governance purposes it isn't about "would" it is
>> about "could."
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
> Daniel,
>
> does this mean that with compliance/gov. regulations, DBA's are not allowed
> to log in at other peoples PC's?
>
> Shakespeare

No. It means what they do must be audited and accounted for.

If you can bypass auditing as root or sys you've created an issue that will, in many organizations, violate the law or rules and regs.

A lot of organizations say SarbOx or PIPEDA or whatever doesn't apply to us ... but how many organizations don't take credit cards? Very few. Even hot dogs stands take credit cards. And all those that do signed an agreement to adhere to PCI. https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

Can your organization fully comply with these standards? https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/tech/index.htm

It is a good self-test.

--
Daniel A. Morgan