Re: Backup & Restore

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:32:20 +0200

Brian Peasland wrote:
> Cristian Cudizio wrote:

>> Ravip via DBMonster.com wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> If i have the backup of the database (RMAN incremental backup) for a
>>> particular date, eg: till yesterday I have the backup. Due to some
>>> reason ,
>>> if restore needs, from which time onwards the archive redolog needs
>>> to apply ?
>>>

>>> 16-09-2007 3:00 AM: Backup incremental level 1 - finished successfully
>>> 17-09-2007 11:00 AM: DB down to HDD controller failure.
>>>
>>> Need to restore from the 16th backup - and how about the archive redolog
>>> files ? Please clarify.
>>>

>>> Thank You.
>>>

>> I'm not confortable with incremental backups, however i think you have to
>> restore first your level 0 backup, then all level 1 backups and then
>> apply
>> redo logs from last backup op 16-09-2007. This is why i don't like
>> incremental backups....
>>

>> regards,
>>

> Christian,
>
> Have you looked at Incrementally Updated Backups in 10g? With IUB, you
> only have to restore the level 0 and then *one* level 1 backup and the
> redo logs.
>
> There is more information in the RMAN docs.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Yes, i i've looked. A question, is this feature available on Standard Edition?  From documentation http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#CJACGHEB i see that incremental backup and recovery are available with SE but there is a note thas say's: "SE1/SE: no optimized incremental backup" what does it means? Is about the optimization described here? http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmconc1008.htm#sthref314

thanks,

--
Cristian Cudizio

http://oracledb.wordpress.com