Oracle Express

From: Knickerless Parsons <knickerlessparsons_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:53:58 -0000

Morning all,
I'm a reasonably experienced oracle developer and just starting out with XML. My comfort zone is really around large batch applications. My goal is to expose functionality of my back end database via web services developed in C# .Net. My current plan is to build an address database that can be access using web service calls from multiple systems.

I just have a couple of quick questions to get me off on the right foot:

Apart from the 4-5GB storage restriction, is there any reason why I shouldn't use oracle express as my datastore for a proof of concept application.

I'm expecting an XML data type but trying to create a column of this type fails. I remember reading a manual a while back which used CLOBs, is this still the recommended approach or is it a limitation in my current database (oracle express).

I'm a way off from building the .NET portion but any views on ODP vs ADO as my data connector would also be a big help.

Thanks in advance,
Dave. Received on Tue Sep 18 2007 - 03:53:58 CDT